Our History

Mr. C. P. Edwards, Kingsport business and civic leader, conceived the idea in the 1940's to establish a country club and golf course around which a subdivision would be developed. He owned Ridgefields Farm, a beautiful tract of land, which lent itself splendidly to such purpose.

World War II ended and the ensuing real estate expansion propelled his idea from dream to possibility. In 1948, a Development Committee was formed and within a year possibility became reality, reality became Ridgefields Country Club.

Donald Ross Associates, even today is revered as one of the greatest golf course architect firms of any era, was employed to design the golf course. The first nine holes were opened in June of 1949 and the current front nine in early 1950 both to wide acclaim.

The Clubhouse was completed in 1950. Ridgefields first manager was Mrs. Brownie Anderson, who with her husband Andy, served admirably and graciously for more than 25 years. The first memorial tree, dedicated through a program which began in 1992, commemorates the Andersons.

Traditions, which began early in the existence of Ridgefields Country Club, have stood the test of time and continue to enhance its reputations. There are important events like the Annual Invitational Golf Tournament, which has been contested for over 50 years, its stature growing to one of the most renowned in Tennessee. And there are its loyal employees, several of whom are entering their third decade of service.

In its early years, Ridgefields was for the most part a golf and social club, but it did have two tennis courts and a swimming pool adequate for its needs. As its membership increased and became more diverse, the facilities were renovated to meet the greater demand.

By 1976 there were five lighted championship tennis courts and an Olympic size swimming pool with accompanying entertainment areas. A contemporary Golf House, containing the Golf Pro Shop, locker rooms, sauna and bar and grill had been completed.

Ridgefields continued to improve and expand its' facilities and services to fulfill the desires of its membership. The more recent improvements include renovations of the golf course in 1986, 1988 and 1989. All greens were replaced in 2002 and fairway sprinklers were installed in 2005. Two indoor tennis courts were constructed in 1988 and remain the areas only indoor tennis option. In 1997 the membership approved major renovations and expansion to the Clubhouse. Work began on this project in October of 1997 and was completed by early 1999. These projects further the vision of Ridgefields to be the premiere club in the region.